PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guide to obtaining a JAA PPL in the US (part 1)
Old 21st Dec 2007, 15:05
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked out their website and it looks like it might even be cheaper. The UKP 99.75 is for a C152, dual. You only need 25 of those. The other 20 hours can be flown solo and the next page quotes UKP 81.50 as their solo rate.

I also doubt the "away landings and sundry" 50 pounds. Even assuming a landing fee of 5 pounds, that's only 10 away landings. Not a lot of x-country experience. I just checked my logbook and in my course I did about 50 away landings out of a total of 125. (In the US, so no landing fees whatsoever and since we flew from a controlled field, we regularly flew to a nearby uncontrolled field for touch & go practice.)

Obviously we're talking bare minimums here. If you do an intensive course (regardless of whether you do this in Florida or elsewhere) you stand a pretty good chance of finishing the course in the 45 hours required. If you do a part-time course there's going to be several consecutive weeks that you don't fly, due to weather or other circumstances. This will set you back in proficiency every time. I don't think many people on a part-time course will achieve their PPL in the 45 hours required.

As I said before, everyone considering a PPL course in the US should look at the current prices, both of the US based school, and the alternative schools close to home. And don't forget to include hidden costs such as driving to the airport, from home, at least some 50 times.

Have to admit, the real cider argument is also very persuasive.