PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser & searchlight attacks on aircraft (incl prison sentences on offenders)
Old 30th Nov 2007, 21:35
500e

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not think there would be so much interest.
Only posted due to personal lamping, not laser & it was nice to hear some get caught.
Nice to know that the smaller units will not blind us just degrade our night vision for a while, great if you are flying in urban environment, with other traffic around you (news ships & police) leaves me with a real relaxed feeling, Nick I am interested to read your links, but if night vision can be degraded by lasers of 5Mw a 2\300Mw is going to have a significantly greater effect.
www.saao.ac.za/~wpk/laser/index.html
and another 2\300Mw and pulsed www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_II_GX-26-0.html
This is without spending time at it
I think Nick is saying that as with all beams distance \ air quality will reduce their effective power. At a distance determined by the laser power the effect will vary, it is at low level and high work load + darkness that the effect will be worst, the jobs that spring to mind are Police,low over built up arias SAR again low with high work load and any helios\aircraft landing

Last edited by 500e; 1st Dec 2007 at 19:55.