PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army Officer PVR Questions
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2001, 01:14
Poor Pongo

E1 and CR,

Couple of things.

Firstly you may well get MCM down to 7 months but are unlikely to manage any less unless you are very lucky and extremely convincing. As soon as you 'jack your hand' then they will unload you from JCSC; however, I wouldn't rely on being allowed to go at a moments notice on the job front. There is no obligation on their part or right on yours to that and they might find that they have to find someone else to fill your post in the event that you go early.

As CR says if you do not serve 9 years then you will not recieve any cash or pension when you go. Similarly I am pretty sure that if you leave without completing your engagement (ie the full IRC) then you will not be eligible for any resettlement, leave, etc. This is different for those who are on SSC who are able to get all this beacuse they have completed the time they initially agreed to.

Hopefully you have a clear idea of what you want to do outside. I can't disagree that there are currently a lot of 'flying' jobs around in the airlines, but beware - the grass is not always greener! I have a number of direct colleagues who have left and are flying for Virgin/BA and believe me there are downsides. They may have the potential to earn more than me in 10 years or so, but it will take at least that long to do so. I am better off in the Army and am, arguably, having as good a time. There is at least one ex Army pilot who went out to 10 Regt AAC (Flying Colours/JMC) who has come back in (admittedly to the RN) because he hated the lifestyle so much. The charters may pay OK but the lifestyle is not necesarily so special, especially in the summer.

Without revealing my real id I can tell you that I have been through the exact same decision process and decided to stay. I am now consequently past SO3 paperclips and big school and the future prospects for fun and some (admittedly only some) flying are extremely good. I also got a lot of high value free education and a wad of licences (take your pick A and H) into the bargain.

Mate, I think my email is on my profile. If it is feel free to email me and I will get back (revealing my real id too, just so we're even!) and if there is any other stuff that we can discuss or info I can help with then feel free. You are correct to think that I may try and put some reasons to stay to you but if you are sure that you want to go I'm preety good on licensing, schools and also a few other departure odds and sods (legal, networking etc).

You're anonimity is guaranteed, BTW.

Final point is a broader one about Spec Aircrew. I think you'll find that it won't happen and there are some good reasons why. Firstly we already have NCOs to do it. Secondly it doesn't actually solve the exam question which is that commanders (at all levels but especially Sqn and Regt ) do not have enough experience. In fact Spec Aircrew would only exacerbate the problem by further taking flying away from the commanders and arguably maikng their job even more difficult by introducing yet another cohort of subordinate aviators who will be even better placed than our NCOs to make comand difficult for commanders by chaleenging their credibility and decisions.

The new career system and length of service based careers is likely to result in an average of flying training plus 8 years for the average grad and plus 11 years for a non-grad before having to do a JCSC euivalent and then a staff tour. This will probably be enough in the short to medium term to allow a minimum level of credibility and experience for commanders. As a matter of interest I actually think that the eventual solution - and one we may see one day - is to have AAC Sqns (albeit perhaps a slightly rerstructured version) commanded by Lt Cols in line with the other services and many other nations. Problem is it will take an amount of time during which we have to gather the evidence necessary to prove the value of AH and the improvement that this will cause.

Phew. Long post, or what. Anyway good luck with the decision or with organising the future etc in the event that you are sure. Offers always open for e'chat if there's anything that can be done.

PP

Use Email address [email protected] as the advertised prfile one is iffy.

PS CR, I am about to be sent to your neck of the woods. Drop me an email and I'll take you for a flight later in the year...

Edited (twice!)for email address addition.

[This message has been edited by Poor Pongo (edited 26 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Poor Pongo (edited 26 June 2001).]