Observations on Thruxton (they got me through PPL and IMC, and I have no personal or financial interest)
- Well maintained field, Excellent approach to safety
- Grass and concrete (always serviceable even after extended wetness), lights and papis
- Are free of controlled airspace, but are under Boscombe MATZ (this is more of a help than a hindrance - experience of mil atc, plus if you can't find r/w 25 at Tx, there's always the Boscombe ILS a little further on)
- Nice people in the tower - always professional and always helpful
- Well maintained fleet - PA28s at the moment
- Over the years they have also had interesting aircraft - T67M, Cub, Condor
- They have the strong and consistent support of the airfield owner, and have been financially stable for as long as I've been a member (>15 years)
- Lots of other fun things going on on the airfield, circuit is usually fairly quiet. The motor racing has never been a handicap for me - it's actually an added interest.
- Proximity to the Salisbury Plain danger areas means that getting to the Northwest is not a straight line.
- Reasonable restaurant and bar
Not a huge amount of clubbiness after hours - but that is always down to who's going to do the leg work.
Seem to have overcome the very sad loss of their outstanding CFI (to cancer)
Can't comment on the others - no in depth experience - I'm sure there'll be many positive comments on Popham