PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guide to obtaining a JAA PPL in the US (part 1)
Old 21st Aug 2007, 03:18
Nibbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a month of research online, here and on many other sites, finally I decided to loose my forum virginity on this topic. Thank you BackPacker for such a detailed explanation of the US training alternative. The best I've found anywhere to date. Sticky status well deserved I thought.

I am fortunate enough to be able to pay for all of my training from zero to CPL/IR/FI and have toiled with many questions including the issue of UK or US based training. Money is a slight issue as the funds I have, sufficient as they are, are a once in a life time chance to be a FI and as such are limited.

I would gladly support the UK flying industry as it would both be the moral choice and clearly a less complicated route for a chap with a wife and 2 kids. My funds would cover the training in either the US or the UK so that is not why I am in the balance on this issue.

Looking at all of the UK schools who can provide the required training I have found;

1. a number have no website, in this day and age?
2. some websites are of such a poor quality, inspiring nothing
3. information I, and I would presume others, needed about courses and paths to licences were not available
4. 2 focus on young ATPL entry, almost to the exclusion of anything else
5. 2 had answering machines rather then a person taking calls
6. a few did not even have decency to return my calls
7. limited number with flight sims and or ground schools
8. some are clearly 'overselling' the prospects for a newly qualified ATPL - which undermines anything else they might state
9. most have limited or no facilities for full time training
10. Information, telephone numbers and e-mail address were out of date

Then add the poor weather, limited types to train on, limited flying time due to lack of instructors, off site maintinence and, of course the cost.

I would have thought if the UK flying industry - meaning individual flying schools - were in financial 'need' and desperate for people who want to be full time / time served FIs [rather than learner jet jocks] then many of the issues I have found in the last month would not exist.

If anyone is going to spend 30K+ with a school you need to know the school is up to the job and this assurance to a potential customer, as best at it can be, can only come from ticking all the boxes.

Given some schools have closed without warning, to the great cost of their current students, I selected a number of flying schools in the UK and have received publically available financial records from Companies House. It was not good news, in fact I'd advise anyone looking to train in the UK to do likewise, could be worth every penny of your £15.

Having said that please please sell me on a decent UK based school if you know of one - I can and will relocate to anywhere in the UK