PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum height for airline pilot
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2007, 01:10
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Height

No requirements exist for height... for licencing...
Companies might have minimums and maximums...
Examples -

You must be able to reach all controls as required in the flight deck.
Your legs length must be sufficient to obtain a full rudder deflection... etc.

Flight attendants, as an example, must be able to reach cabin overhead storages to reach emergency equipment, yet some regional airlines, with small cabins, might even prefer F/As who are of smaller height. A 5'2" lady is perfect for a CRJ cabin.

Personally, I am very average 173cm tall (5'7") and a mere 135 lbs/59 kg which is ideal. I fly regular airline types (747), and I occasionally moonlight as Learjet 20/30 pilot. Even just average height, I have a hard time to fit in the cockpit of a small Learjet. I am nearly at the limit to be comfortable. Shorter pilots are fit for Learjets. A 6 foot/250 lbs pilot could NOT fit in a Learjet.

I also recall a cargo airline with DC-8s... and having their first "little females" as co-pilot. The issue for these little ladies was not their height, really, but also their muscles, to operate an airplane with unboosted controls.

Your 5'4" height is somewhat short, but NO problem. When you apply with an airline, suggest you inquire if they have a minimum/maximum height. If they require a certain minimum or maximum, it is because of the type of aircraft they operate.