PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recovery technique for windshear?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2007, 19:55
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An Paddy Eile,

...There isn't much point in including them [microbursts] in this discussion as there really isn't any decent way out.
I'm not trying to pick an argument as your posts have been making eminent sense - but I would say that most airline training for "windshear" is based on these sort of encounters. Obviously, you are looking to avoid this scenario if at all possible but if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, early recognition and prompt decisive action just might save the day. *Any* way out is acceptable at that point. Modern aircraft, twins especially, have an incredible power-to-weight ratio when at normal landing weights and might survive an encounter which would have brought down something from an earlier generation.

As for surviving a 100kt negative shear, if it happened just like *THAT* I agree it's not looking good. In real life it takes a little bit longer and if you're at TOGA power trading speed for altitude or vice-versa, you are adding energy into the equation at quite a rate. You may be forced to descend to convert some potential energy to kinetic, even bounce off the ground (runway, hopefully) but every second on firewall power increases the chances of survival dramatically.

Triggering the GPWS/EGPWS on a gusty day can be more of a nuisance; my operator's SOPs allow you to disregard these warnings under specific (pre-briefed) circumstances. Recovering from a full-blown windshear go-around can be almost as problematic as what caused it in the first place...

Anyway, good discussion, as you say.

Last edited by FullWings; 16th May 2007 at 20:13.