PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots flying for US Carriers
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2007, 06:02
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Snoop

Amin:
A Captain flying jets with a US regional airline rode on 'my' jumpseat about one year ago. He is from Egypt and he told me that his name is Mohammed. He was a nice guy. An airline can not reject you because of religion etc, and should not.

If a gentleman or lady has the personal characteristics desired by an airline, and also has a competitive background, they should be considered as much as anybody else. My company has about twelve foreign pilots who I have chatted with. A South African, two Swedes, two from the Caribbean islands, German, Dutch, English, French, etc.

On another note, be aware that some comprehensive aviation programs, even those which the ultimate goal 'allowing' you to fly a few months in a Beech-1900 might not operate where you will accumulate valuable instrument time, i.e. Florida.
That means that a new pilot might not yet have enough of an instrument approach 'foundation' to keep up with the required training/checking syllabi on a glass-c0ckpit jet which operates into DTW, MKE, LGA, IAH etc. This training heartbreak happened to a guy who went fom a B-1900 in Florida to a class for the CRJ. One of the Instructors told me the story, and the guy had spent a large sum of money for the ratings and his first FO job (Gulfstream Airlines B-1900 FO). The regional training, glass c0ckpit or not, is quite intense and this might be the most difficult challenge.

Good luck over there/over here.

PS: My FO on the last trip is from Helsinki, Finland. He began his ratings in Texas and then flew floatplanes in the nasty humid swamps of southern Louisiana.

Last edited by Ignition Override; 29th Jun 2008 at 08:13.