PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2007, 20:43
rickypbrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NATS interview process

Hi there,

This is to try to help those of you who are thinking about interviewing for an ATCO position with NATS.

I have recently been successful in applying for a position as a trainee ATCO with NATS (last October). As has been previously said the Sticky topic is reasonably outdated although I found it extremely useful during my selection (thanks chaps) I'll give you a brief run through of what to expect.

Stage One -purely to get down the numbers. I had my tests in a hotel in London and dressed in a suit. This is not deamed necessary, but I think any way of increasing your image will ultimately improve the chances of success. The tests begin pretty promptly with a dire psychological personality questionnaire which is laborious and well just deathly boring. (You'll see what I mean)

Next was a diagramming test in which you have a net of a cube with different patterns on it. Next came a cross-checking test which was where you were given a number and you had to locate it in a list by the side, then came the actual aviation-related questions. Gonzo hits the nail on the head when he mentions,

"that the majority of the motivation paper is based on the .pdf document you should have been given. If you read through the document, that's the level of detail of the questions. If you learn the document, then you'll know all the answers. It's that simple. And good practice for when you're at a unit as a trainee and have to learn a fancy document call the Manual of Air Traffic Services Part Two, which might have hundreds of pages!"

These tests are multiple choice, with answers which are very similar. So long as you have learnt the information, you'll be fine.

About a week after the tests I received my invitation to the second stage. Here I had an hour HR interview, another aviation test and a computer test. Although you are given a lot more information to learn prior to the aviation test, this is of little use with the computer test. You cannot prepare for this, just soak it up! Sorting shapes, mental arithmatic, reasoning skills are all tested and I thought I had done appallingly and apparently everyone does!

The third stage, which I received and invitation to about a week after the second stage, consisted of a group exercise which was effectively a board game (and quite fun), and the technical/HR interview, which was tough. DON'T FALL FOR THE ATCO'S TRAPS! Stick to your guns providing you're sure they are sound. If you are unsure, do not be frightened to say so. When I was quizzed I said I wasn't sure, but I would imagine...to some of the questions.

In June I start at the college in Bournemouth, earning 10000 pounds without a living allowance. Providing I make it through a 3 month basic course, I'll either be chosen to follow training as a aerodrome/approach controller for a further 3 months; or as an area controller for a further 6 months. This, as was stressed, is not my decision.

Hope this helps! If you need any further help, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes and good luck,
Ricky Brown.

Last edited by rickypbrown; 3rd May 2007 at 12:15.