PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the MU2 - facts please.
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2006, 21:05
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ag2A320, I'm not going to argue with you. As you stated "Some pilots have flown it and hated, everybody is entitled to their options". (I assume you mean opinion.)

Okay, I flew the MU-2 G, J, L and M series of MU-2s, all long bodies, for almost 800 hours. I am firmly in the 'hate it' category.

Now I'll admit the only other turbo-prop I have flown was King Air 200s, I have about the same amount of time in both. I read and understood your remarks concerning trimming and rigging of the MU-2, however, of all the problems I had with the MU-2 had nothing to do with rigging.

Now, a very short list of many of the problems I had with the MU-2.

Aft cabin electrical fire behind the baggage compartment bulkhead during cruise. Cause, improper wring at factory.

Cabin door frozen after landing, we were unable to exit the aircraft for over 45 minutes until the aircraft was put into a heated hangar and maintenance personnel worked with potable heaters. (You probably don't have that kind of problem in Florida )

Landing gear would not extend due to frozen micro-switches on gear doors. Was forced to extend the gear manually via the crank. (This happen more than once and it takes a lot of cranking to get the gear down.)

Tip tank fuel cap failure on rotation. The outer half was found on the runway and the bottom of the cap was at the bottom of the tip tank. Let me tell you something, that tank emptied fast, however, giving credit where credit is due, the airplane remained controllable for the 5 or 6 minutes it took me turn around a land in the opposite direction. Then again, it was only because I was in an MU-2 was I placed in that predicament.

Then there was what I call the case of the "auto throttle" malfunction. I'll bet you didn't know that at least one MU-2 had an auto throttle did you.? Now it was just one throttle that was 'somewhat' auto, the left one. To make a long story short I'll just tell the basic events.

The airplane involved was a brand spanking new MU-2 M (or N, whichever the long one was of that series). Total time on the airframe about a 100 hours. After takeoff one morning as I was cleaning up the flaps the airplane started yawing to the left. I looked down and the left throttle was dang near back to idle. Okay, I shove the throttle back up and tighten the friction knob. No problems, right? Next takeoff same problem with the friction knob so tight I can hardly move the engine control levers. After restoring power I climb out and start trouble shooting the problem. I discover that when I apply up trim with the wheel switch that the left throttle moved back. Nose down did not move the throttle foward. Problem was caused by the autopilot wiring bundle caught by the trim wheel and was wrapped around the left throttle cable. Problem only occurred when the autopilot head was in the up and locked position. I had a very interesting talk to factory about this little problem.

An engine failure in an L while at cruise, NTS worked, no problem, however, that was an engine problem not an airframe issue.

Now for all the problems I had in King Air 200s in the same amount of time.

Zero.

By the way, I agree with you 100% on the 'engine/NTS loss' on takeoff in the sim. A total waste of time. If that happens you are dead. I understand that one will have the same result in a Turbo Commander as well.

Be safe.

Last edited by con-pilot; 12th Dec 2006 at 00:32.