PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA IR Courses (including Converting FAA IR to JAA IR (Merged)
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 22:30
SmokinHole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe TheController is factoring in the ME type rating.

But you certainly don't have to do it in a Twin, the cheaper cost on the other thread (circa 15k) is for an SE IR. There aren't many around since for Public Transport Certification an IFR Heli must have 2 engines. But I know there is one in Norwich and also one in Denmark and another in Sweden. I know some guys going to Denmark and I am considering it too, but only considering at the moment.

It's true that operators have no jobs for SE IR rated pilots, but it will reduce their training cost for you to convert, which will be attractive to them. Plus, you have already proven both your commitment and your ability to pass an IR skill test. Speaking of which, with the FAA IR route, be sure to factor in the JAA SE IR cost if you are going for an ME IR - you cannot convert directly!

Rules for conversion are like-for-like - an ICAO (FAA, etc) SE IR for a JAA SE IR - and that's 15 hrs. You then need to take the test, and pass. You can then convert to an ME IR, but you will also need to include an ME type rating (assuming you don't have one for an IFR ME heli).

More hoops with tighter loops..