PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malayan Airways DC-3
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2006, 12:38
Tartan Giant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi 828a
I remember seeing York freighters transiting there to refuel on their way to and from the rocket range in Woomera Australia. At the time I thought them some sort of monster with their oil stains and their noisy crackling engines but I also thought they must have been exciting to fly. I think those Yorks belonged to Dan Air but I'm not sure and if so Arthur Larkman would have been flying them.
It was indeed a DA York. They won the contract from the Air Ministry and used two Yorks from Freddie Laker's company, AIR CHARTER, at STN along with the others used on the Lyneham - Singapore run.

The Bristol Freighters were used as they had a belly that would 'swallow' most things - 2360 cubic feet of obstruction free space.

G-AINL was the first one then, G-APLH on the 31 Mar 1957.

The Freighter was apparently the only British aircraft that could accomodate the "Black Knight" rocket.
Due to the secret nature of these flights, a circuitous route had to be followed and Customs sometimes had to be 'hoodwinked'!!!
The book I have mentions the cargo as being "Agricultural Machinery"!!

Captain Arthur Larkman made 11 of these flight UK-Woomara, at 170 hrs/trip.

The York sadly lost was G-AMUV which was purchased from the RAF.
It's markings during RAF service were: MW226.......... XD623............. XD669.
Don't ask me why it needed all these changes in reg!

If anybody has a photo of a DA York with a "Wallaby" on the nose, there is a very amusing story on Page 19 of "The Spirit of Dan Air" (Graham Simons) of how that came about.

Captain John Cameron was DA's Chief Pilot at the time and Arthur was in the bar at Singapore ordering drinks, and noticed John was ordering plate after plate after plate of salad............ that was to feed the wallaby in his room!!
John had to stop-over at Alice Springs and the staff there presented him with this youngster!
It reached England OK and was later presented to a zoo in Sussex, and as Arthur notes in the book, "....... where I believe they now have a colony".

John was the man who persuaded Arthur to leave Malayan Airways and join DA - that happened in Sep 1956.

Best wishes
TG

Last edited by Evileyes; 31st Oct 2006 at 14:06. Reason: A P.S. to mention that One crew member survided that crash of G-AMUV and that was the Radio Operator, Jack Maloney.