PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thick passenger comments
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2006, 20:18
EchoMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revenge of the SLF - on the SLF!

My wife and I were passengers on a Southwest Airlines flight from Houston to Phoenix AZ a few summers ago - lots of thunderstorms, delays, extra security checks, more delays, typical gawdawful airline experience.

We were determined not to let it get us down, partly because through a bit of sweet-talking the gate agent upgraded us to first class, seats 1A and 1B, YES!

Anyway, when we finally boarded, the cabin crew was obviously (as you say over there) knackered, so we told them that WE would do the passenger greetings for them, go sit down and relax. Surprisingly, they said go for it - so we did - and every person who got on the airplane after us was greeted with "Thank you for flying Southwest! We're glad to have you on board!"

Well it seems the person sitting in 1E was not very happy about all this - he KNEW the weather was crappy solely and specifically for HIS personal discomfiture, and this was all Southwest's fault - and the idea that anyone at all could have a good time - my wife and I, and the two exhausted stews, was just too much for him. He rolled his eyes in disgust each time we greeted anyone (about 90 people), and each time he did, the stews (and we) had to restrain ourselves from laughing - we all knew he couldn't stand it, and we were quite deliberately baiting him with each progressively cheerier greeting. (The passengers loved it, too, and the pilot and co-pilot were also in on it.)

Finally everyone was on board and we were ready to go. I turned to the cabin crew (whose dispositions had by now considerably brightened) and said, "OK, we're all set, and I'm ready to fly the airplane now - do you need to see my pilot's license?"

"Mr. Happiness" about died - turned white as a sheet, the two stews broke out laughing - and we were treated ROYALLY for the entire flight - and somehow they were always just too busy to get Mr. Happiness so much as a glass of water. He was first off the airplane, too.

This is a true story . . . and I do have a pilot's license, but not for the big iron.

Best Regards,

Echo Mike