PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Seychelles-Pilot recruitment
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2006, 06:11
cavortingcheetah
Está servira para distraerle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a little scuttlebutt and might be a tad old but it might be helpful.

The men one might need to speak with in Air Seychelles are Steve Quilindo or David Savy, who is/was Chief Pilot. Both are Seychellois, David S's family being one of the oldest on the islands. Looking up a Savy in the telephone directory there is a bit like looking up a Smith in the UK.
Steve Q used to fly in and out of Gatwick quite regularily. That would, of course, be Heathrow now.

Bob Blagborough's contract as Operations Manager 767 came up for renewal this year. I understand that the contract is a two year rolling one and don't know who the new man may be; if there is a new man at all. The man before BB lasted two years in the post before returning to South Africa.

As far as I know; Air Seychelles do not recruit outside the island for FO positions, although needs must when the Devil drives, and so on. Ex-patriate Captains are recruited on contract from time to time on the Boeing and their prime objective is to train up the local pilots. As such, a significant amount of experience is required.
The twin Otters were used as a stepping stone for the jets and I am not aware of any foreign pilots being employed on these aircraft.
I think that as an ex-patriate the job security is not brilliant and that that part of the salary that was paid in foreign currency did not amount to a great deal. Housing allowance was paid in local currency but rents are expensive there and you cannot convert any excess Seychelles rupees which you may save into hard money.
The overall cost of living is not cheap but the lifestyle for some is absolutely fabulous. In my opinion, you would have to bring money in to the islands in order to really enjoy yourself, buy a boat and so on. Cars are extremely expensive. Any $/£/€ you bring in to the island and convert to Rupees cannot be taken out again in any currency other than Rupees, which are worthless outside the islands. There is a large luxury development being marketed on the eastern side of Mahe, being built on reclaimed land. It is being very heavily marketed in South Africa as well as in the UK. The twist lies in the forex and, I suppose, the next Tsunami. The last one washed away part of the main road between the airport and Victoria. I expect that it still has not been repaired?
If it were my intention to work for Air Seychelles I'd drift by the islands for a little reconoittering holiday. A very pleasant place to do some employment research.