PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Socata Reviews ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2006, 16:15
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it would be, but what is the desired mission profile?

If you want something that gets airborne in about 100m, and can land in not a lot more than that, but can't go anywhere far, or anywhere fast, you have plenty of choice.

Similarly at the other end of the scale. Planes that will go 1000nm at 150kt TAS but need 1000m of tarmac.

Not a lot in the middle, because - short of a turboprop - it can't be done. The only way (unless as I say you have a light but very powerful powerplant, by which I mean 400-500HP) to get short field capability is to bring the stall speed way down and then you compromise cruise performance. You also compromise the ride quality because you get low wing loading which causes the plane to be chucked about all over the place.

I was in a Maule recently, as a passenger, and the pilot's wife was unfortunately a bit ill in the back, in what I would describe as light turbulence which in a TB9/10/20 would be fine but not in a type with such low wing loading. A typical English summer day, with little white fluffy clouds in the sky above. But it's obviously great for short strips - a lot of people living in the countryside would be able to operate a Maule from their garden.

A TB gives you a good ride, good range, sufficient performance for most of UK and European GA airfields, good fuel flow for the TAS, and is easy to fly with no quirks.