PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EH101 Merlin
Thread: EH101 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2001, 16:37
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

To:Bit

Before we get into a P!ss!ng contest let me make a statement. Several months ago I became embroiled in a running argument with various UK and Oz types about gyroscopic precession. The argument went on for some time until I came to the realization that in their POF classes in the UK they address Gyroscopic Precerssion as a minor influence to the point it is minimally addressed. In the USA in POF classes it is everything. Once we got that straightened out the arguments became fewer and fewer as In any of my posts I would preface my statements with the disclaimer that there would be differences of opinion.

Now I’ll address the FMEA and the Hazard analysis. First of all the entire field relating to reliability was developed by the US Airforce about 40 years ago. These principles were applied to every military program and were eventually adopted by the civil sector. Over the years the procedures were modified and the process was taken over by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) as it applied to civil applications and military applications are controlled by the Reliability Analysis Center (RAC). The US Military is procuring more and more off the shelf equipment and usually on these programs they recommend the use of the SAE procedures. There is very little difference in the requirements of the two systems it is just that the formatting of the forms is different.

Right now I am performing the reliability analysis and preparing the FMEAs for the Dornier 728 Jet hydraulic system. The format for the FMEAs was developed for civil applications and can be used as an FMECA or an FMEA. The difference is in filling out the column labeled as criticality or not filling out that column. On my system we do not address the criticality relative to the aircraft. However at the next level they will.

Getting back to the opening paragraph relative to differences in approach the FMEA /FMECA forms you use in the UK I believe stem from a MOD Def Stan and were modified from the American procedures. If this is the case we are talking about the same thing but from our own knowledge perspective.

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: Lu Zuckerman ]

[ 26 July 2001: Message edited by: Lu Zuckerman ]