PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning - 1st OCT 2006 - Ageism Law and Seniority lists
Old 28th Apr 2006, 16:29
Dash-7 lover

Question Warning - 1st OCT 2006 - Ageism Law and Seniority lists

Just been having a chat with a manager today and it seems that alarm bells have started ringing in HR depts around the country concerning the new ageism legislation which comes into force from 01st Oct 2006.

Apparently 81% of employers currently use length of service and 35% use age itself as a criteria for the provision of employment benefits such as sick pay, holiday entitlement and level of redundancy pay - all of this will be out of the window! (So much at BA is based on seniority)

Basically as from October, pilot seniority lists and staff travel concessions will have to go and some other scheme may have to be introduced.... so all those years of hard work will be unrecognised. Imagine the queues at the checkin desk if the whole of staff travel is based on a first come-first serve basis? You'd have to book an extra week off to spend at the airport of your choice!

What about redundancy pay? Are we all going to be on the statutory minimum?

The conversation I had today was a serious eye-opener so if you haven't raised it yet then I think it's about time!

I used to be in favour of equal opportunities but in this age of dumbing down and everyone has to be equal then there is nothing for Joe Bloggs to strive for after he's been with the airline 2 weeks over someone that's served loyally for years! That's the reason why there's a total lack of respect in life in general or at work....

Would be interested in others thoughts?