PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Collection at RAF Cosford under threat (Merged)
Old 4th Apr 2006, 09:48
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the decision has been made and the Museum of Flight at East Fortune (which is one of my top five UK museums - it's rank varies, according to mood, the number of pints consumed, or dried frog pill intake) gets 2 Complete Aircraft and bits of another two. Whilst Brooklands (another good home) gets the bits of a fifth.

Hmm, I assume that corrosion and cost have meant that the VC10, 707 and Trident were beyond saving as complete aircraft.

So what about the Britannia?

Also although not part of the British Airways Collection two more aircraft were/are in company livery: Comet 1A - BOAC and Westland Dragonfly - BEAH. I wonder what the future holds for them?

I am saddened this has happened, whilst caring for Company Heritage can be taken to extremes that overall it has a negative effect on the Company, in this case I think BA's stewardship (or lack of it) of the Collection that bore its name has gone too far the other way.

I would love to see a BAC1-111 in BCAL Colours again, in any UK Museum, but even if BA Waived it through, as far as I am aware the Aircraft going to East Fortune never served with any carrier other than BEA/BA, so it would be a bit of cheek to paint it BUA, or BCAL Colours
(nice thought though :-)
DIH