PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the differences between flying a helicopter and an airplane?
Old 29th Mar 2006, 03:15
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Fully agree, EBCAU - I think there is considerable value to be gained and transferred from fixed to rotary and vice versa, and almost any kind of flying can be enjoyed, even if it's only the satisfaction of a job done properly when it's the boring stuff (hopefully not too much of that).
As far as crews go, I've mostly found rotorheads to have a good can-do attitude and be ready for a laugh as well.
Some of the larger fixed-wing types by nature tend towards a bit of a formal atmosphere, not that I've been in the big jets, but have done some time in decent sized multi crew FW.
I haven't found transitioning between FW and RW jobs a problem (done it a couple of times each way) - don't know if that's the general experience though. I have heard of rotary guys having a bit of hands and feet confusion when trying to fly close FW formation, eg. pull back 'cyclic' and push 'collective' away from them to slow down, only to find themselves pitching up and putting on throttle. Could just be an urban myth, that one.

Anyway, if you can't hover, you know the old saying ....