PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video: Austrian EC-135 slope start in snow
Old 9th Feb 2006, 19:07
Seniorpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EC-135 landing an take-off

Hi folks,
this is Gilbert, the Austrian EC135 pilot (shown in action on the video)!

......if the pilot had test the density of the snow during landing, by "jerking" the collective up and down in a gentle manner, maybe he could avoid the situation. ....

Of course, I did! I also told the HEMS-crew to get out and report, wether the snow-skids where fully on the ground and how the surface is. He reported: "both skids well on ground, surface is hard"!
I shut down and when the rotor stopped, I went out normally. Just when my feet touched the ground, I heard a "sort of scratching" noise and the EC sunk rearwards, until the Fenestron-housing stopped it!
Actually the surface was frozen hard, but there was sort of powder-snow down under. The snow-skids would sink, including a greater piece of the hard surface!
Never experienced this before - flying EC135 since 1997 in mountainous areas of Austria.
I have checked the situation of the Fenstron eagerly and decided, NOT to dig it out because I was afraid, it could sink even deeper?
We also tried to pull the aircraft into it`s normal attitude - no way!

The "recovery" maneuver was not a real problem - despite I should have made it a bit less harsh!? No limit on mast-moment, no uncommon feeling - she moved a bit too fast but, well, that was it! (No such training ever before!)

Losses: the tail-bumper was slightly damaged, replaced and a special-check was carried out. No further damages.
Reliable aircraft? I guess....

Kind regards,

old Gil.