PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thought this might interest some of you
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2006, 22:15
Vfrpilotpb

Senis Semper Fidelis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well here we are again, I hope Pprune will not bother if I have not resized correctly,

Bit ancient Hawker Hart with my pop holding the prop, I think this was during is training at Cranwell about 1937/8

Hampden Bomber again about 1938 Pater is one nearest camera uner wing, but I do not know where this was,

148 Sqdn Crest

4000lb bomb waiting to go into a Wimpey

Similar bomb being winched into a 148 Wellington at Kabrit 1941/2

This Hurrican force landed into the Western Desert 1941 with some sort of fire problem in engine compartment, if you look at the rear of the exhaust stubs you can see some scorching(the picture is a little blurred)

Similar Huricane with Broken back Western Desert 1941

This is a captured Italian Tri motor on Sicily about 1943, seems intact but nothing else is written on back of photo

Beaufighter Sardinia 1944 flown By Sergeant Pilot Alan Powell(still with us) and Navigator my pop (not with us) they had flown out that morning to the troopship the "Rex" with orders to sink it, a full flight(dont know how many in a flight) ws despatched and said Rex as sunk, this is one thing I did hear from my father, who said the AP projectiles fired at the liner went straight through and out the other side, after one pass by the planes from 272 Sqdn the liner started to list and slowy settled in the water finally rolling over, on there way back the used ther cannons on anything they could find,this Beau found a target but they didnt see a flak ship moored alongside(unsighted to them) they attacked the ship and flew over its funnels only to feel and hear hard things hitting their Beau, with they wings full of holes and no air in their tyres they attempted to land and this is the result, apparently the Beaufighter was immensly strong and protected the crew with the big Hercules radials sticking out in fornt to batter anything out of the way

The Finger Inn was their mess, and the crashed Beaufighter Pilot Alan powell can be seen at the front with the black top, my old man is the short one with his hands in his pockets, this pictuure was taken in Cyprus about mid 1943

Ill post more tommorow night,

Many regards

PeterR-B
Vfr

Sorry Pprune I cocked up with my resize

Last edited by Vfrpilotpb; 30th Jan 2006 at 22:26.