PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USN ace/Congressman convicted of bribetaking
Old 29th Nov 2005, 11:23
Washington_Irving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get confused between the man and the myth. There is plenty to suggest that while he was undeniably exceptionally good at waving the stick about (although airmanship may not have been his strong suit, as we shall see below), he was otherwise a waste of rations.

There are even widespread rumours in the USN F-4 community (including members of his Sqn) that his unscheduled dip in the Gulf of Tonkin was brought about due to fuel managment going out of the window while he was fangs-out in the fabled third engagement with Col Toomb, rather than a SAM. The Navy and the Government apparently staged the cover story of the SAM because they needed some good PR.

Now where's me tinfoil hat?

You are correct, Cunningham was the only USN pilot ace of Vietnam. I would also say that his backseater is one, but then I am not one of the FJ pilot community.

Which could add interest to this thread:

should the RIOs/WSOs/Navs be credited?

I would say yes, but would be interested to read other views.
The highest scoring ace in Vietnam was a WSO- Capt Chuck DeBellevue, USAF with 6 kills (4 with Steve Richie, 2 with John Madden). Pilots and WSOs were each awarded a full kill. Willie Driscoll (Cunningham's RIO) is likewise credited with the same five as Cunningham. I've saw the wall at USNFWS once, and both names appear below the silhouettes.

Last edited by Washington_Irving; 29th Nov 2005 at 11:40.