PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP TO JAA
Thread: FAA ATP TO JAA
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2005, 13:46
highfinal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAR exams

Hi FT,

I did the helicopter JAA/FAA combined course at HAI, and the the facilities there are excellent, and the staff very knowledgeable.

The course is more helicopter oriented than you've been told, Principles of Flight, Mass & Balance, Performance are all helicopter only, and the overall question bank is increasing rotary based, judging by my exams Vs the previous students. The course has changed a bit since then I've heard, as JAR keep moving the goalposts, but nothing too drastic. Contact George Bedford or Sam Willenbacher at HAI (www.heli.com)

You can also study yourself by distance learning with Oxford Aviation (www.oxfordaviation.net), the cost is comparable, however you will need to go and sit with them for some refresher ground school before sitting the exams, and you need to sit them in the UK. I've seen their material and it is first rate, some excellent interactive software in addition to the books.

One last thing though - you can learn the subjects back to front as I did, and still be challenged by the wording of some of the questions - you NEED to be able to have access to feedback questions to learn how they like to phrase things. In Air Law in particular this can mean the difference between pass and fail.

Most people at HAI's more recent courses that studied hard averaged in the 90% range for pretty much everything.

Good luck with your studies!