PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Physical effects of flying......
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2005, 01:26
Qwannas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I no longer fly. I really miss it. I miss the fun. I miss the goss.

However, I dont miss the constant fatigue. I was ALWAYS exhausted! I would hit the bed and just pass out - my whole body just ached to the bone. Sometimes I found myself physically gasping - just completely out of breath (usually after doing 6 days straight). Occasionally when I would walk thru the door after being away, my husband would ask "have you had a few drinks?" because my speech was slurring and I would be silly and giggly (Of course I hadn't - I am guessing the effects of hypoxia? The mind boggles at how safe it is for us to be flying when we are feeling this tired) I have a young baby and even tho most nights = broken sleep and my days are spent running around - there is nothing that compares to the exhaustion and fatigue whilst flying.

I also injured myself at work at one point. I lifted a full catering box on a turn around and prolapsed a disc in my neck. I was off work for weeks. Being on Work Cover was supportive - but I felt depressed about not working in my normal capacity.

I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks and my subsequent pregnancy wasnt without problems (two episodes of threatened miscarriage). It always amazes me (still) to hear of the amount of flight attendants who have experienced one or more miscarriages.

Also, since not flying, I feel that my weight has stablised. I am much thinner. I dont hold so much fluid and I am not as bloated. My skin is looking great, too! I look ten years younger!

But apart from that it was a really good job! lolol