PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gazelle: Flying, operating, buying
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2001, 05:22
Larry

Cyclic sez:
<I think that most commercial operators in North America dumped them once an engine overhaul was required.>

I don`t think any USA commercial operators
fly the Gazelle any longer. The last one i knew of was operated by CH-2 news in Los Angeles till 1992.It flew everyday so must of been reliable.

Im looking for a Gazelle for personal use only.

<The cost of a major repair or overhaul, would fund the purchase of a replacement helicopter.>

About $200,000 for a overhauled Turbomeca engine is what they told me. The two cleanest Gazelles in the USA are worth about $400,000 with mid-time parts.Both are unavalible at this time.
Ive heard the overhaul and parts prices
have jumped in the last 5 years.

<For this reason, there were a number of "cheap" Gazelle's for sale in North America, requiring motors>.

There are very few Gazelles in any condition
avalible in the USA.And yes the "cheaper" ones are very rough and potential money pits.

Im under the impression the Gazelle is no more to operate than a AS-350B. Its not like the military Gazelles will retire for another 15-20 years so Eurocpter will continue to support them.

And Eurocopter USA told me they can get any part within a week or two (they will come from france). Prices didnt seem outrageous
compared to a AS-350.(and its not cheap !!)
Main blade avalibility are no problem and the fenstron is unlimited life so it shouldnt be a big problem.

Question: If Eurocopter is making parts for the Military Gazelles , can these be bought for Civil versions or do those parts need to be cetified on their own ?

From my info there were 170 Civil SA-341Gs built....a low number compared to the AS-350B
but including the Military versions over 1300 Gazelles were produced. The last was delivered during the late 1980s.