PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MSc Aviation Management
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2005, 06:08
Caractacus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi krisgnair,

It is well worth asking for hard information about where MSc or MBA graduates find employment and how much they earn.

However, the schools are reticent about giving that information. I would guess that the salary and career expectations of such courses are, in reality, pretty mixed. If you are expecting a big hike in your earnings and responsibilities post graduation I suggest you take a more cautious attitude.

A few years a ago I considered an MBA and was offered a place on a prestigious course. Eventually, I declined the offer and completed the City University Air Transport Management and Air Safety Management programmes. The course was excellent but it did little for my career prospects.

A neighbour of mine spent £50,000 on the Sloan course at the London Business School. After two years out of work he is re-training as a school teacher just to find employment. LBS could not give him hard information on salary expectations when he asked . . .

The bottom line with any of these courses is that you should really only read for the degree if you have a passion for the subject and can afford to take a career break.

You really should pester the college for details of alumni earnings and prospects. If they won't give you hard information then ask to speak to a graduate. If the college are unhelpful there may be a reason for this.

Remember, slick marketing exists within academia and they need bums on seats just like the airlines.

Check out the desination before you buy the ticket !

Good luck.