PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vtoss/ Vy /Vbroc
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2005, 18:14
anjouan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Nick,

That was just my poor attempt at irony

I remember the term Vbroc first from the good ole 58T in which it was easy to keep the broccoli fresh because the heater (that's the air-bleed one as fitted to our versions, not the old parafine-burning stove version ) was particularly ineffective and could only maintain the cabin about 2 degrees higher than outside on a cold winter's day. As for going to the YMCA - can't mention that any more since the Village People version of the song

I'm sure 212 man also meant to say that Vtoss may equal Vy on a helicopter where the power margin OEI is such that at higher weights it is necessary to acclerate to Vy to achieve Category A or Class 1 performance (depending whose rules you are operating to)

The French (= Eurocopter) like to define Vtoss (or should that be V2?) as the speed required to maintain a 100 feet per minute rate of climb, or better, OEI on the first segment after TDP, with the landing gear extendeded (in the case of a retractable u/c helicoptere) at 2 minute power (or maximum contingency power in some Flight Manuels) and maintain a gradient of climb of 3% or higher. Of course, this is further complicate by whether one is talking of JAA, CAA, FAA or ICAO definitions where all sorts of other terms like net rate of climb or gross rate of climb are there to confuse.