PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilatus PC-12's
Thread: Pilatus PC-12's
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2004, 16:11
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Playing the devils advocate..just for a moment...(if there have been no fatalities) the a/c is safer than a 737, 747, DC-10, A320..purely on that point alone.
I believe the problem lies in the perception that with only one engine...it quits...your dead, when plainly with the PC-12, all the engine failure issues have been non fatal, in the same time that the PC-12 has been around...how many turbo-prop twins, piston twins have crashed fatality after engine failures? A Shorts 360 going in after a double engine failure immediately springs to mind...back in about 1998.
Both viewpoints...for and against are diametrically opposed...the thing that I find interesting about all of this is....most of those that operate SET..i.e. PC-12, C208, TBM700 etc....have got nothing but praise from an operational point of view..as long as the a/c are operated in the roles for which they were intended and designed to do. It is invariably when the margins are pushed..or exceeded...that problems have occured.
Finally, just for the record..Im much happier IMC in a SET...than say a Navajo, or C402, the type of general aviation a/c the SET was designed to replace.