PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angle of attack instrument?
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2000, 23:28
BEagle

Thumbs up

Ryan - yes, it's much more difficult on a single prop aircraft due to slipstream effects from the propeller. The probe and gauge are simple - but, as you so rightly say, the aircraft installation will be difficult. I suspect the reason no-one's bothered before is probably because there's no real benefit for the cost in a light aircraft. Personally I'd really like a single engine prop ac to have an AoA gauge from which I could deduce the alpha values for Cl max and also for (Cl/Cd)max for best still-air range and ((Cl**3/2)/Cd)max for best endurance.
The type of probe they showed us at Cranfield was the twin-slot type which naturally aligns itself with the free-stream and hence gives a value of alpha based upon its rotation relative to a calibration reference datum - you could blow on it and it would rotate!! I was doing my 2 week flight test course as part of an Aero Eng degree using the de Havilland Dove aircraft. I'd also learned to fly with the Bedfordshire Aviation Centre in 1968 at Cranfield.

[This message has been edited by BEagle (edited 01 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by BEagle (edited 01 March 2000).]