PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are your chances of getting a job?
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2004, 19:40
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skyman68

We all have a view of this industry tainted by our own position, be that one of success or one of 'still trying'. I feel genuinely sorry for all those guys out there who are having a hard time getting employment, but your comments are quite frankly way off the mark. Just because you don't know many people who have got jobs with 250hrs, or 1000hrs piston, or any other combination of 'non-airline' experience doesn't mean that everyone claiming to have got a job is a liar from a training school trying to drum up business!

I have met a broad range of Wannabes over the last 2 years, ranging from 250hrs all the way through to captains of large jet transports with a whole career behind them. I will say it again, that I have personal experience of pilots who have gained employment over the last 12 months in a large number of UK airlines and several from abroad too. Proportionately those with experience have found it easier to get selections and then get jobs, but a fair number of 'low hours' pilots that I know have got jobs too, many of these being the ones who post on here telling their good news; the ones that you claim
these people come from schools trying to give you some fake hopes
I dispute your figure of
if you have around 250h, good luck!your chance are very slim, close of 0.1% to get a job as a pilot.
You are claiming that 1 x 250hr pilot in 1000 gets employed. A popularly banded figure on these pages is that there are approximately 1200-1400 pilots seeking employment in UK airlines. Let's say they are all 250hr pilots (which of course they are not), then you are claiming that only 1.2-1.4 of them is going to get a job! So let's just look at how many pilots CTC placed last year. I personally know of 10 and suspect it is at least 3 times that figure, so your claim is totally flawed purely based on the number placed through the CTC ATP Scheme. I personally know about 10x250hr pilots who have gained employment in the last 12 months, and granted I know more who have not, the point being that your 0.1% figure is completely inaccurate.

I have contacted my friends, who have all between 1000-2500h of flight time . Some are ex- cargo pilot, ex-flight instructors, they do not find any job. I have friends who actually fly for airlines(2% of my friends have found a job after 10 years)
Well, strangely enough if they have circa 2500hrs TT they probably qualified around the same time as me, maybe a little after and out of all the people I trained with at Oxford (on the old self improver upgrade course), which amounts to about 15, 14 of them are now flying for airlines and one is still instructing.

So like I said at the start, many of us view this industry from our own introverted position, mine is completely different to yours, but the thing that gives my view more credibility in 'the big scheme' of things is that I am now involved with dozens of pilots who are seeking employment and a large swathe of these have found airline employment and many continue to do so........... This year has been better than many over the last 4 years and the trend seems to be continuing.

Good luck.

PP

Last edited by Pilot Pete; 18th Oct 2004 at 23:33.