PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Freedom Boeing 737 grounded
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2004, 02:53
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, just to clarify, and in a "positive" way to keep the woomerii happy, let me just say that I do not for a minute think that this crew were "unprofessional dickheads". However, they did "stuff up", and it is far more useful to accept that, and learn from it, than try to excuse it or ignore it. Nobody is looking for a witchhunt, but it is important to call a spade a spade.

All of aviation is based on learning from the mistakes of those who have gone before. It serves no constructive purpose whatsoever to simply say "there but for the grace of God go I", because all the research on the subject (that I have read) clearly indicates that you don't go "there" if you learn from others, and always stick to simple rules (aka SOPs). We are masters of our own destiny.

The difference between pilots who make career-ending mistakes, and those who get to retirement with no major problems, is that the second group have had the self-discipline to ALWAYS act prudently, even when tired or stressed; to always take the safest possible option. To always be SURE, not to guess. Even if the research in this area did not indicate this (which it overwhelmingly does), I have seen it with my own eyes far too often, and have lost some colleagues as a result.

These days, when we sim-check potential new hires, we always test their decision-making in this area (as all enlightened airlines do, including, I am sure, Freedom).

If it is somehow unpalatable to say on PPRuNe that somebody has made a mistake, because this is apparently not "positive" enough, little will ever be learned. Debate can be (should be) carried out with both positive and negative inputs. It should always be done with courtesy and restraint, and that is what the real issue has always been with this particular forum. Sad to see political correctness having it's day, but not surprising I suppose. Is it time for the group hug yet?