PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2004, 22:22
Mama Mangrove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chuks,

Your rumour about the rather ebullient Chief Pilot of Caverton is what I also heard.

I think you'll find that the A109 (Caverton's is in 5 seat configuration) is not going to be used for the shuttle to VI. You say that 'downtown isn't so far away', but if you know Lagos at all you'll also know that the journey from 'downtown' to MM can take in excess of 3 hours when the traffic is bad, and whilst stuck in a 'go slow' the risk of being robbed is considerably increased. The flight takes only between 5-10 minutes so may be well worthwhile for those with the money (quite a lot on VI I would think). Luggage is sure to be a problem whatever aircraft they end up using. I wouldn't think the harmattan would be a big problem. The weather only deteriorates to less than 1000 metres for a few days a year, and that's no different from the sort of weather factors they faced on the operation Helikopter Service used to run between Helsingborg and Copenhagen. The reaction of the passengers in Lagos may be a little louder and more extreme though!

SASless,
I don't know if any Americans were affected when Mobil moved the goalposts last year - but I understand all pilots over the age of 57 had to leave. Some of them may have been found work on other operations because Bristow always seem to be short of people. I hear that the rule has been changed again now. Maybe soemone from Bristow will come up and comment.

Mama