PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are your chances of getting a job?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2004, 08:50
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just felt I would like to add my vote for Puritan's comments. Many wise and true words were imparted there and anyone looking (or about to qualify and start looking) for their 'first break' would do well to read and take on board those comments.

It is not impossible with 250hrs to get interviews and jobs. Indeed, in a strange twist from years back, low houred (with a 'commensurate' age) pilots are probably more in favour now than the 'traditional' FI with circa 750-1000hrs. Certainly, jet operators seem to like these candidates, mixed in with candidates who already have airline experience.

Through my course I come across a wide variety of pilots, from those yet to qualify, to the vast majority who have 'low hours' (ie mainly single piston time in varying amounts up to a couple of thousand hours) through turbo-prop regional pilots all the way up to jet captains with significant experience (3 of whom have flown for flag carriers) and although they are all targetting different areas of the pilot recruitment market, the one thing that stands out about those who go on to be successful in their chosen 'target' airline(s) is DETERMINATION.

From my point of view there appears to be little to differentiate between these guys on paper, save the obvious hours/ experience/ age etc. Characterwise, there are very few whom I feel would not be able to make it. They all have plenty of desirable qualities and I have only met one or two whom I would not like to share a cockpit with!

Several of my 'low houred' clients have gone on to be successful at airline selections and are now flying (or in training) with UK airlines. Probably about half have gone on to some sort of type rating scheme (where they have to contribute or pay in full) and the other half have got jobs with no requirement for self-funding the type rating.

So it can be done, is being done and will continue to be done. Those who are doing it are getting lucky, but without fail, they all put themselves in the position to get the lucky break.
I have applied to about 50 airlines, taxi company etc etc and I haven't been accepted to any interview yet..
This is not meant as a dig, but if 'applying' to 50 outfits via an application/CV is all you have done, then you are not doing enough to get the 'luck' element. I am not saying that you won't get a phone call tomorrow from some recruitment department inviting you to interview, but there are hundreds of Wannabes who will testify to having done much more than this and they still haven't got the break.

I try to instill in my 'low houred' clients that they must be doing an hour or two a day researching, networking, telephoning etc etc and being pro-active in trying to find an opportunity. It all comes down to 'how much do you want a job flying aeroplanes?' The one thing that is guaranteed is that IF YOU ARE NOT DOING ENOUGH, SURE AS HELL SOMEONE ELSE WILL BE. This leads to the obvious situation where they are more likely to get the break.

So just briefly going back to the determination thing again, those who are determined stand out as good candidates, those who say they 'really want to fly for a living' but aren't doing enough to make it happen, are deluding themselves and are just not demonstrating one of the qualities that is a pre-requisite for pilots of transport aircraft.

Which category do you fit in...........?

PP