PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Strength
Thread: Runway Strength
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2004, 14:01
OverRun
Prof. Airport Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini,

I'll take a look in more detail tomorrow at your questions. In the meantime, a part of what you are looking for is at the following:

http://www.geocities.com/profemery/a...html#ACNcharts

Simply work out your aircraft weight, look up the ACN in the graph, and check it is lower than the published PCN for the runway. If it is a bit higher, as JW411 said, there are procedures for handing that. Note the B777 graphs because they are like the An-22.

The B777 is a triple tandem (which should be TT, but could be called TRT). Caused a real problem when it got invented because the american pavement engineer's theory couldn't handle THREE axles. Anyway I'll come back tomorrow, and answer Speedbird's questions too.

Mini - in the meantime, do you have any examples of the words that you are encountering in assessing the limits at various airfields? Is it ACN or PCN or MAUW or what? Many countries have their own words, even if they mean the same thing. A bit confusing sometimes. Also, do you have an example of an actual aircraft type/operation and some of its potential takeoff weights. Also its empty weight and zero fuel weight. If you do, then I can give a more complex answer to illustrate how the bits fit together.