To reverse the trend...
Some three years ago, whilst en-route to Europe, my wife and I stayed in the Peninsular Hotel in Bangkok. While in the shower, my wife found that the hot water tap came away in her hand ("came off in me hand Chief"), and she narrowly escaped being scalded. Some gentle words in the ear of the manager produced an instant move to the most magnificent suite on the top floor, a free dinner for two nights and a refund!
Last weekend, we stayed at the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney. We were allocated a room that absolutely stank of cigarette smoke. Again, a gentle word in the ear of the manager resulted in a move to a suite sans fume with a magnificent view over Sydney Harbour plus a free dinner.
It pays to insist on your consumer rights. Poor Basil would be hard pressed to turn a quid these days.