I suppose it really depends on what path you really wish to take after obtaining your Cpl. If you are happy to instruct on SEPs for a few years, then you may wish to take the ME Rating at a later date, or never at all!?
I'm also considering at this stage wether to do the full Cpl ME or just the SEP version. Eventually I want to have a twin rating, but not as urgently as the Cpl. There is a significant price difference, but I'm also aware that it may reduce my chances of passing the Cpl first time due to the increased workload, and therefore cancelling out the money I might have saved in the 1st place. (I know it sounds pessimistic, but it is a possibility).
Keeping current may also be a problem due to cost, but then again, it all goes down as valuable twin experience.
I think the main factors to consider are: Long term aims, expense and workload during the Cpl. I'm still doing my ATPL theory at the moment and hope to start the Cpl course in June 2004, so I've got 6 months to decide!
Any other views or suggestions?