PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF height requirements
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2003, 03:30
sarboy w****r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha! Clearly anyone under 6' 4" is genetically inferior! (Well, at the very least those under 6')...

I am just under 6 ' 5", and I'm a rotary pilot (recruited in late 90s, so not some selection aberration from WWII...). My medical records also state that I fit all aircraft requirements (FJ/multi/rotary). I have been in some FJ cockpits and I'm not too sure about keeping my legs in the event of an ejection, but everything else is fine. I admit to not sitting up as straight as I could have done when I went for selection, but they gave me a cadetship anyway. There were a few raised eyebrows at the final medical prior to graduating from IOT, but just ignoring the docs seemed to do just fine.

Squirrel (Basic Rotary) is tight to fit in to, but the Squirrel course is only 4 months long, so the discomfort only lasts a short period of time. The Griffin (Advanced Rotary) has loads of room (the seats and pedals all adjust). All the frontline helicopters I've been in have loads of room - more than enough for someone as short as you!

Apart from doing as I did, there isn't a lot you can do to pass the medical - either you meet the requirements or you don't. Don't stress. I suggest you brush up on your distance/speed/time calculations, and your answers to all the questions that will come up at interview.

Best of luck with selection.

SBW